Holiday Chocolate Pot de Crème
- 1 2/3 cups (386 g) heavy cream
- 6 ounces (170 g) bittersweet chocolate (62%), finely chopped
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar (preferably organic)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Arrange six 4- or 5-ounce ramekins in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or roasting pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream to a gentle boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla. Whisk about ½ cup of the chocolate mixture into the yolks, then whisk this mixture into the remaining chocolate mixture. Pass the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup with a pouring spout. Divide the base among the ramekins. Pour enough hot water into the baking pan so that it comes almost halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the custards are set around the edges and slightly jiggly in the center.
- Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Refrigerate the custards for at least 4 hours before serving with whipped cream.
For more of Tish Boyle’s gorgeous dessert recipes and baking tips, find her new book, Flavorful, at amazon.com. (P.S.- It makes a great gift.)