Gina Homolka is the founder of Skinnytaste, a food website where her motto is “light on calories, big on flavor.” We can totally get behind that! Her recipes are delicious, healthy, easy to execute, and written to be family-friendly. She shared this fall recipe with us in Chico’s October mini-mailer from her best-selling cookbook, “The Skinnytaste Cookbook.” When she’s not writing and testing recipes, Gina lives in Long Island, NY with her husband and two children.
I love all things fall: Colorful gourds, cozy sweaters, changing leaves, and (of course!) spectacular autumn fruits and veggies. My soul just craves the sweet, buttery taste of this side dish when the weather starts to get cold. I also love how simple it is—in only 5 minutes, you can turn four ingredients into a scrumptious side dish. It doesn’t get any easier than this.
Sweet Maple-Roasted Acorn Squash
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 small acorn squashes, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rub the coconut oil all over the flesh of the squash, then season with a pinch of salt. Put the squash halves cut side up on the prepared baking sheet, then drizzle with the maple syrup.
- Bake until you can pierce the flesh with a fork, about 1 hour.
Published with permission from Clarkson Potter. Copyright 2014. Photo Credit: Penny De Los Santos