What is a “statement”? It’s something that announces itself by the mere fact of its presence: an eye-catching necklace, a detailed jacket in a new shape, a bold ring. It’s something completely classic yet totally new. At Chico’s, we’re all about making a statement. So we decided to make one in the form of a cocktail. The elegant contours are those of a quintessential gin and tonic, but like any good statement, there’s a newsworthy surprise.
- 2 Citrus and Botanical ice cubes (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons Tanqueray No. TEN gin
- 1 thin slice Persian cucumber
- 1 thin lemon wedge
- Tonic Water, preferably Fever-Tree, well chilled, about 1/3 cup
- Place ice in a single Old-fashioned glass.
- Add gin and garnish with cucumber slice and lemon wedge.
- Top with tonic water and serve.
Citrus and Botanical Ice Cubes
about 20 ice cubes
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 20 (about) small rose petals
- Place the cucumber, lemon and mint in a 4-cup measuring cup.
- Add enough water to the measuring cup to measure 4 cups.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Squeeze the lemon wedges into the water.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the cucumber, mint and lemon and discard.
- Stir the rose water into the mixture and pour into 1-inch ice cube molds.
- Place a rose petal in each mold and freeze until solid. (Ice cubes can be made 1 month ahead; transfer to a zip-tight bag and keep frozen.)
Recipe created for Chico’s by Jeanne Kelley. All photos by Jeanne Kelley.