This smoothie is all about the berries—whether you choose strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries (or some delightful combination), they’re all full of blue and red anthocyanin compounds, natural pigments that give them their beautiful colors. Juicy and delicious, berries are also high in vitamin C, and they contain the necessary phytonutrients to help you to absorb it. Though they are all rich in antioxidants, which help to slow down the aging process, and protect the body against cancer and other inflammatory diseases, blueberries and blackberries top the charts, boasting up to two hundred compounds with antioxidant qualities—so enjoy these superfoods whenever you have the opportunity.
Berry Breakfast Smoothie
Makes 2 (10-ounce) servings
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or a combination)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped kale leaves (remove the stalks before chopping)
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and peeled
- About 1 cup fresh orange juice
- In a blender, place berries, kale, broccoli, banana, pineapple, and avocado.
- Slowly add the orange juice to the blender carafe, 1/4 cup at a time, pulsing to blend.
- Continue adding more juice and pulsing to blend until you've reached the smoothie consistency you like.
- Serve immediately, as the nutrients in this smoothie diminish over time.
Excerpt courtesy of THE RANCH AT LIVE OAK COOKBOOK by Sue and Alex Glasscock, Rizzoli New York, 2014. Image from THE RANCH AT LIVE OAK COOKBOOK © Sara Remington